October 25-28, 2022
JW Marriott Hotel | Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Online registration is now closed as this event is sold out. Please email Kristin@aien.org to be added to the wait list.
Join us for the 2022 Model Contracts Workshop being held in spectacular Rio de Janeiro!
Click here to download the workshop program
The Model Contracts Workshop is a vital component of the organization's acclaimed model contracts service, providing an annual forum for meaningful participation and feedback on AIEN model forms and a vibrant opportunity for networking within the global energy industry.
This year’s agenda includes interactive sessions designed for both experienced and aspiring negotiators exploring various aspects of existing AIEN agreements, models in development and initiatives related to AIEN’s expanded energy scope. Knowledgeable industry practitioners will share their extensive experience negotiating AIEN agreements and discuss commonly-encountered issues and key provisions.
Existing agreements to be discussed in detail:
- Unitization and Unit Operating Agreement
- Study and Bid Group Agreement
- LNG Sales Agreements
- Natural Gas related agreements.
- Joint Operating Agreement, revision of the 2012 version
Interactive breakout sessions:
- Offshore Drilling Contract & Well Services Agreement – including mock negotiation
- Consulting Agreement – including mock negotiation
In addition, the workshop will feature sessions examining:
- An overview of AIEN’s drafting process and commonly-used agreements, including an open discussion with participants to share their experiences using AIEN model forms.
- The enforceability of certain contract clauses under Brazilian law (operator’s liability, pre-emption rights, default, dispute resolution, indemnities etc.)
- How existing model contract provisions could be further be simplified using the KISS principle to facilitate negotiations and enhance understanding by end users.
- How AIEN model contracts may be modified to work in “transition” deals and what revisions and/or new models should AIEN consider to address its expanded broader energy focus.
There will also be ample opportunity for networking with negotiators, lawyers, academics and government officials from around the globe and to learn about Brazil´s uniquely dynamic energy sector.
Claudia Zacour, Executive Manager of Corporate Governance, Petrobras
Norman Nadorff, Special Counsel, Mayer Brown LLP
Continuing Education Credits
AIEN, formerly known as AIPN, is an accredited sponsor approved by the State Bar of Texas Committee on MCLE. A maximum of 11.75 CLE credit hours, of which 0.00 credit hours will apply to legal ethics/professional responsibility credit will be awarded based on individual attendance.